IMO, the following items are so Overrated:
- Bottle Sanitizer. We live in the burbs with good, clean water. I think with a little hot water, soap, and boiling pot from time to time is just fine. Save the cash.
- Wipe Warmer. First of all, it freakin dries out the package of wipes, even if you put a little water in the bottom. And second of all, I was not going to take the chance of Mr. T getting used to the luke warm comfortness, just to be shocked and pee himself (or me) in the cold air the first chance we were away from the Wipe Warmer.
- Shopping Cart Cover. Pre-motherhood, pre-pregnancy, and even during the babies-on-the-brain phase, I thought these shopping cart covers were the cutest thing I had ever seen. I could not wait to get one. Wanna know how many times it made the trip to the Grocery?? TWICE. Once. Twice. That's it. With everything else you have to remember, gather, and get together, it was just yet another thing to the list. But in the wise words of my hair stylist, "Every kid needs to chew on a little shopping cart".
- Two of everything. Now I totatly agree that you need lots of burp rags and bibs. But two bobbys, two changing pad stations, two bumbos. Unless you have two babies, two of freaking everything is just a waste of TOO much money! I once read on The Bump to have duplicates of everything downstairs. But I am against that for two reasons. One, I don't want my house infested with baby everything and look like isle 12 at Babies R Us. And Two, The Shed worked off those 50 pounds because I got my fat butt off the couch and walked upstairs for changings.
- Bassinet. Ok, I'm ready to get flamed for this one, but let me just start by saying I know that everyone is different. Everyone has different parenting styles and we all turn out just fine. But when the best NICU nurse, a.k.a. my sister-in-law, told me that she had all 3 of her girls sleeping through the night in 6 weeks, I quickly took notes! And so, we did not use a Bassinet. In fact, aside from a couple of snuggling naps, Mr. T. never slept in our room. He slept in his crib, in his room, from day one. Again, I know everyone is different, but my logic told me why would I want to phase him into the crib months later when it can be done all in one step.
- Itzbeen. I remember reading that other Bumpies had raved about the Itzbeen. A little device that shows you how long Itz Been since you last changed his diaper, fed him, etc. I thought it was great and added it to my must have. But after coming up to that grand total of just how much and expensive babies are...the cheap thirfy side of me that Gator Guy has tried in engrain said, wanna know what the best Itzbeen is...A Piece of Paper and a Pen. Imagine that!! here