I was a little nervous about throwing my first 1st Birthday Party. I'm not going to lie, Gator Guy and I can throw a mean Ugly Christmas Sweater Party or beer pong tourney in the burbs. And I have learned from the Best-Mom-in-the-World about the traditions of the Family birthday and just how important it is to think about everyone. But a First Birthday Party was new. And something that I only get ONE chance at.
Must Haves for the Party:
1. Balls - Lots and Lots of balls. Mr. T is so excited about any kind of ball at the moment that we thought it was just perfect for a sports themed party for our little Champ.
2. Timing - I love parties where people feel they can hang out all day. But a First Birthday is different....the Guest of Honor is on a tight schedule and when it is nap time, the laughter quickly turns to Whines. 11am was perfect. Just after nap #1, but before nap #2, and gave everyone the rest of their day to do....well anything.
3. Friends & Family - I have to say that Mr. T is one spoiled little boy and the loved ones that came (even in the snow) to his bash really showed their love and support.
4. HomeMade Ice Cream - That's right, we made ice cream for over 30 people. The-Dad and The-Best-Mom-In-The-World make HomeMade Ice Cream for every birthday party in our family (which turns out to be about 13 times a year, and has even perfected the Vegan Ice Cream for my sister). So Gator Guy and I learned from the best and it was a hit.
5. Good Jams - I think the key to any successful party is having the appropriate music. Just because the word Baby is in the title doesn't mean it makes the playlist for a First Birthday Party. Sir Mix a Lot definitely gets the boot with his "Baby Got Back." However, I also didn't want to play Barney over and over when the Guest of Honor doesn't really know the song himself. And so, I kept it simple and classic. Songs like: "L-O-V-E", "My Guy", "It Must Be Love", and "You Make My Dreams Come True". Stay tuned for the full playlist.
6. Keepsake Memory - I had all guests sign Mr. T's "Oh The Places You'll Go" book. He now has a classic book that he can read along with everyone's wishes on each page.
7. Cake - a First Birthday Party could not be complete without a CAKE. Lots and Lots of cake.
8. An eager One Year Old to chow down.
All of these Must Haves together = One Successful Par-Tay.....Yay!